Outline and Course List

From: Csaba PLEH (pleh@edpsy.u-szeged.hu)
Date: Fri Nov 26 1999 - 18:38:05 GMT

GENERAL OUTLINE OF THE COURSE PROCEEDINGS

I will start the course in advance with Student Skywriting.

I will establish a Hypermail Archive here, which all of them can reach
on the Web. They need each to have email addresses, which should be
sent to me, and I will make it into an alias list, so one of them mails
to it, we all get a copy.

I will assign 5 target articles, all in the BBS Archive. The assignment
is that each article is assigned to 3 students (there are 15 students
in all?) that means 3 students per paper. Each paper is divided
(approximately) into three parts and each student has to comment on his
part (everyone should read all the papers in full, and especially
carefully their own paper).

The comments must be in the form of quote/comment, and it should quote
approximately 20% of the text, deleting irrelevant passages and
portions of passages and quoting only the relevant substance on which
they are commenting.

This means each students 20% of their 1/3 of a paper. In addition. Each
student must comment on each of the comments on the other four papers
(again quoting about 20% of the comment).

Example:

Papers I II II IV V

Students 1-15.

Students 1-3 Q/C on I
         4-5 Q/C on II etc....

In addition, 1-3 Q/C on the comments on II - V.

This means that they all have to read at least their own target article
first, fully, do their own Q/C each, and then, as these appear, they
can do their Q/C on the Q/C's of the other 4 papers.

For length, the Q/C on their own assigned section should be at least
1000 words, not counting the quoted passages.

The 2nd-order comments can be 200+ words (not counting quotes).

They must each make a 2nd-order comment on their comments, but these
will not be assigned. They can choose from among the comments that
appear.

And of course they can do more if they wish.

This is a lot simpler than it seems. It remains to give the name and
URL of the five papers. I leave it to you to assign the actual students
to their "home" paper (the rest takes care of itself). And they can
decide amongst themselves who does which section, but it MUST be done
sequentially. The one assigned to do the first third must post his Q/C
first.

As soon as they have their email addresses, they should first email me,
so I put them in the alias list; the Hypermail address on the Web will
be http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/CogSci-Szeged99

They can also reach it from my home page.

After sending me their email, they should retrieve the article on the
WEB, save it as "text-only" on a disk, read it any way they like
(printing on paper, or on-screen) and then make another electronic file
of it, deleting the passages they will NOT quote, editing down those
that they will quote, reducing them just to the relevant essence,
self-contained, then indenting them with the usual convention:

> blabla
> blabla
> blablal

following each indented passage by their comment. Once finished, they
email it to me, and I send it to the list and archive it in the
hypermail archive.

To see how it is done, they should look at:

http://cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Debates98/

Once the Q/C's start to appear in their email, they can choose which
ones they want to do a 2nd-roder short comment on, one from each of the
OTHER four articles.

I myself will be entering with comments too. Everything will be
archived. I will control the "Subject" threads, so that it is
classified in the Hypermail archive in a systematic and navigable way.

When they send me their first email, it would be good if they said a few
words about their insterests (academic/intellectual).

THE LIST OF THE FIVE PAPERS, ALLOCATED TO THE STUDENTS:

1. Dunbar, R. I. M.
Co-evolution of Neocortex size, group size and language in humans
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/bbs/Archive/bbs.dunbar.html

Student:
pkatas@mars.arts.u-szeged.hu
Pocs Kata Rita

Gabor Zemplen gzemplen@drotposta.hu

2. Wilkins, Wendy K.
Brain Evolution and neurolinguistic preconditions
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/bbs/Archive/bbs.wilkins.html

GERVAIN JUDIT
h633301@stud.u-szeged.hu

agikov@hotmail.com
KOVACS AGNES

3. Pinker, Steven & Bloom, Paul
Natural language and natural selection
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/bbs/Archive/bbs.pinker.html

Ivan Zsuzsanna, Hoifer Adam es Toth Eva:
manka1@freemail.hu, tothe@sol.cc.u-szeged.hu

4. Harnad, S. (1996) The Origin of Words: A Psychophysical Hypothesis. In
Velichkovsky B & Rumbaugh, D.
(Eds.) "Communicating Meaning: Evolution and Development of Language.
NJ: Erlbaum: pp 27-44.
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/harnad96.word.origin.html

633874@stud.u-szeged.hu

STACHO LASZLO and CSAK LASZLO

5. Cangelosi, A. & Harnad, S. (2000) The Adaptive Advantage of Symbolic
Theft Over Sensorimotor Toil:
Grounding Language in Perceptual Categories. Evolution of Communication
(Special Issue on Grounding)

MARK JELASITY
jelasity@amadea.inf.u-szeged.hu