Evolution and Feelings

From: G.Valenti (gv195@coglit.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 15:24:34 GMT

As I have understood the actual processes of instinct feelings are
successful evoulutionary strategies at the unconscious level that our
ancestors have passed on to us. An example of such is being scared more
of a snake than of an electrical socket, or even the sexual attraction
felt for an attractive human of the opposite sex. Even the need felt to
migrate south for the sparrow, when the days become shorter could go
under such definition. But where do we draw the line if there is one,
could we say that our sweet tooth is an instinct?

If so for eg., why do we dislike healthy food and prefer the unhealthy
one, is it because the EEA is not the same as it used to be or because
the food itself has a different taste due to all our selective
breedings?