Hypnosis

From: Humphreys, Juliet (JHM92PY@psy.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 16 1995 - 16:31:23 GMT

Stevan, I thought I'd write this just to you firstly, because I may
have got it all wrong. If any of it is valid, please fell free to pass
it on to the rest of the third years.

When you were talking about trance logic in hypnotism, it reminded me
of something I'd read about conversion hysteria. Is there not a
similar phenomenon whereby a person who has no "feeling" in their arm
will say "no" to all probes on the arm and "yes" to probes on other
parts when asked to say when they can feel anything, thus showing
that they are actually feeling something. The person is usually
blindfolded. Or am I getting confused with something else. If I'm not
confusing the issue, is it possible that there is some sort of
cognitive link between the two? Has this been looked at?

I don't think I've explained it very well but hopefully you've got
the gist. See you soon, Jules.