Re: Psychotherapy

From: Roberts, Craig (CRAIG92@psy.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 24 1995 - 12:56:03 GMT

A few points which I'd like to throw up (?) :

i) Therapy, and my indirect and somewhat direct relationship with it,
is VERY individual specific. Hence, it can only be assessed
retrospectively and if it didn't work then it is rightly deemed a
failure. But..... was the correct therapy applied? Free Association
would not be a viable proposition for Holly Hunter in The Piano as she
refuses to talk, therefore this aspect of therapy would quite easily
fail, and researchers report this so. Although I'm saying this, it can
be a long journey to find the correct therapy, it can be worth it.

ii) Is time a reliable factor when assessing effectiveness? People
respond differently to an outbreak of 'flu so why not Depression which
is such an individualistic condition and cannot be compartmentalized
(?) as Psychology would wish?

iii) What the hell is this meta-analysis lark? Why do these statistics
show no beneficial effect when common sense would say
otherwise...........

Craig.