Re: Skywriting

From: Colbourn, Chris (C.J.Colbourn@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 03 1995 - 19:14:06 GMT

On Thu,2 Mar 95, "Cornah, Deborah" <DEBCO92@psy.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

>Recent happenings in the psychology department have sparked a number
>of issues that I think, as psychologists, are worth thinking about.
>As you most likely know, by the very fact that you are reading this,
>'skywriting' is catching on.........BUT:

Debbie then went on to outline some important questions. I'd just like
to comment that, as well as being important, they are empirical
questions both with respect to 'skywriting', and also to the more
general use of new technology in education.

We hope to be able to answer such questions soon with empirical data
because Paul Light, myself, Alan Costall (now at Portsmouth
University), and Charles Crook (University of Durham) currently have a
research grant from the Leverhulme Trust to study the "Influence of new
technology on the culture of student learning in higher education".
Paul Graves-Brown is the research fellow on this project, and we are
gathering data in this and other departments both at Southampton and
Durham, thus giving as wide a basis as resources allow for any
conclusions. So rest assured, the matter is being actively researched.

-- Chris.

P.S. Charles Crook will be giving the next Departmental Seminar
(Thursday, March 9th, 1995, 16:00 in LAB1), entitled "Resourcing
collaboration among undergraduates: The place of information
technology".

Chris Colbourn, Psychology Dept, University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Internet: C.J.Colbourn@southampton.ac.uk TEL: +44 1703 592589 (DDI)
WWW: http://cogsci.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~cjc/ FAX: +44 1703 593939