Re: What Is the Mind?

From: Holmes, Sharon (shh@isvr.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 20 1997 - 08:54:31 GMT

> From: "Anonymous" <anonpy104@psy.soton.ac.uk>

> So what exactly is the mind?

There is no exact definition of the mind - it is a very personal
concept. Some people may believe that the mind is conscious awareness,
or even a soul. I prefer to think of the mind not as a non-physical
entity, but as a consolidation of all the different mental process that
are occurring at one time - e.g. vision, hearing, speaking. The problem
is, how does this consolidation of mental processes come about?

Another definition of 'the mind' may be having a theory of mind - being
able to understand other's thoughts and feelings. This is especially
prevelent if we ask which animals have a mind? Does a chimpanzee have a
mind? Does a Cat? Does a Dog? A rat? A fish? A plankton?