Re: The Reality of Repressed Memory

From: Lee liz (EAL195@psy.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 16 1995 - 09:15:55 GMT

> 6.8 Million women were raped in the U.S.A in 1993
> 4.7 Million more than once
> 1.7 Million child abuse cases were reported in 1993

This, of course, only tells of reported cases. If, as Nick suggests at
the end of his synopsis, we all have "repressed" memories of abuse we
cannot recall, think what the actual number would be. This is what I
find really hard, the psychoanaltic approach appears to be saying
that we truly don't know our own minds, and that even if I were to
say "I suffered no abuse as a child" they would argue "Ah, but how do
you really know, aren't you just unable to recall the events?
Seems to me there are those who would think negatively of everyone
and everything and assume any sort of behaviour or personality
dysfunction must be the result of earlier abuse, probably sexual,
probably by a male member of our own families.

> THOUGHT: It seems that repressed memories have the ability to hide
>in all of us for years and then suddenly re-surface un-expectedly.

 Does this mean that we might all be carrying round certain
memories ,un-known to us , that can help explain our negative moods and
personality ? Is our mind telling us "that what we don't know won't
hurt us " .