Essay Topics

From: Stevan Harnad (harnad@cogsci.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 16 1998 - 18:41:10 GMT

Hi All,

Here, as promised, are the George-Miller-based topics you can
do your last essay on. If there are other Miller-inspired
topics you want to do, let me know. Also, if you want some
readings on these topics, ask me and I'll give you some.
In principle, you could do any of them using just Miller
plus the Skywriting discussion material, but to get a 1st
you might want to do just a bit more...

(1) What is information and how is it related to Psychology?

(2) What do absolute and relative judgments have in common and how do
they differ from one another?

(3) How is is possible to get around Miller-limits in our capacity to
process information?

(4) What is special about pitch perception and how does it get around
Miller-limits in ordinary people and in people with perfect pitch?

(5) Relate the Miller paper to Funes the Memorious and/or the
Mind of a Mnemonist [in my tutor box in short loan]

(6) What is the Whorf Hypothesis and how is it related to
Miller's paper?

(7) Explain how knowledge can be seen as a game of Twenty Questions.

(8) What are "chunks," how do they differ from bits, and why are they
important?

(9) Explain how category learning is recoding.

(10) Is information the same as meaning?

Other topics welcome.

Cheers, Stevan