Copyright, Embargo, and the Ingelfinger Rule

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 12:38:17 +0000

[Sender identity not posted as permission not requested or granted]

> Congratulations on your award! It's great news, not only for you but for
> the scientific enterprise in general. I'm for open publication any day.
>
> I would certainly like to archive my work in CogPrints, but I'm unclear
> about the copyright issues. Are APA and Psychonomic journals giving
> permission to post articles that were published a while back? Would posting
> a manuscript jeopardise later publication in one of these journals?

Thanks for the kind words.

Journals vary in their current copyright and embargo policies, but they
are changing in these rapidly changing times, and I believe that the
ultimate outcome is inevitable, which is that providing the SERVICE of
Quality Control/Certification (QC/C) (peer review) will be dissociated
from providing the PRODUCT in the form of a text (whether paper or
online). The QC/C service will be paid for by author-institutions out
of a small portion of their vast savings from cancelling the payment
for the text/product (through Subscription/Site-License/Pay-Per-View
[S/L/P]) -- and the texts will instead all be self-archived, free for
all, by the author-institution in the Open Archives (such as
CogPrints).

That is the optimal and inevitable outcome, but we are not there yet.
Do individual authors need to wait? I strongly believe they do not, and
should not, and I sketch the obvious ways around the status quo below.

There are progressive publishers and there are more regressive ones.
The American Physical Society, publisher of the highest impact and
most prestigious refereed journals in Physics, is one of the most
progressive of publishers -- but their policies have been well
"prepared" by almost a decade of de facto self-archiving on the
part physicists worldwide.

Our APA happens to be one of the most regressive of publishers at the
moment, but they are still a Learned Society, and they will see the
light -- but we must first take the initiative by actually doing the
self-archiving, as the physicists did. If we wait for the APA's advance
blessing, we will have a long, long wait!

With that, I draw your attention to the strategies recommended below.

Best wishes,

Stevan