Re: Information Exchange Groups (IEGs)

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 11:04:23 -0500

The absence of "rubbish" does indeed seem to be notable. In fact, it is my
memory that the papers as submitted were essentially identical to the
papers as finally published. the only paper that I can specifically
recollect as not being published in my area was one where
 the director of my lab, who was one of the editors of the major
journal in the field, could not figure out why it was never formally
submitted.
I am told that the same is pretty much true of the existing preprint
groups--is there any formal analysis of this?

The distribution in the area I was working in was limited to the
primary investigators of NSF or NIH grants in the subject. Of
course, at that time
it was _relatively_ easier to get such a grant--the acceptance rate was
substantially higher than today.
I suspect that the senior people in any field of learning (or other
human activity, for that matter) are prone to
exaggerate the extent to which the field is democratic.
The publication of papers in formal journals sounds democratic--to those
of us in institutions with major research libraries, it is--on
a world-wide basis, the situation is very different.

David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman_at_princeton.edu 609-258-3235