Re: Science Article (Roberts et al.) and Science Editorial

From: Michael Eisen <mbeisen_at_LBL.GOV>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:50:17 -0800

If you want to go around handing out little gold stars anytime the journals
take a step in the right direction, then fine, Science gets a star. But it
is completely ridiculous to argue that differences between the sides is
merely posturing. The difference between free access after one year at a
single fixed location (e.g. Science's website) is more than just
semantically different from free and open disribution of the material they
publish. It is the difference between two completely different views of who
should own and control the scientific literature. Science and most other
journals believe that the only permanent record of the scientific process
belongs to them, and that they alone should be allowed to decide the terms
under which this material is used. I strongly disagree.

Michael Eisen, Ph.D. (mbeisen_at_lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, and
University of California at Berkeley
http://rana.lbl.gov

Support Unrestricted Access to Scientific Publications
Visit http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org