Interoperability - subject classification/terminology

From: Pauline Simpson <ps_at_soc.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:08:33 +0000

Dear All

At the OAI Geneva I undertook to do the following:

2. Investigate OAI and OAF email archives for prior discussion and
synthesize

3. Open the discussion with the intention of constructing a model/s to
address perceived problems. We will need a statement of the problem/s and
suggested solutions (some already articulated on Saturday)

At present we have completed item 2 and and are now compiling a table of
all e-Print archives (that we can find!) with an annotation of what subject
classification they 'appear' to be using : LOC; DDC; In House
Classification (possibly based on LOC or another); In House
terminology; Faculty/Dept/Group; None.

We hope to have completed this work by the end of next week and will be
placing it on the web for validation and additions. This will then form
the basis of discussion on the way forward. I will email the list again
when we have done this.

If any of you know of the existence of such a table already please let me
know (and send it to me) so that we do not duplicate effort.

It has taken longer than I thought but I believe this evidence gathering
exercise will be a worthwhile tool in our deliberations concerning
harvesting and interoperability between institutional and discipline based
e-Print archives.

best wishes

Pauline

Pauline Simpson,
Head of Information Services, Southampton Oceanography Centre
and
Faculty Liaison Leader for Science, Engineering and Math
and
TARDIS (Univ Southampton e-Prints) Project Manager

University of Southampton Waterfront Campus, European Way,
Southampton, SO14 3ZH, England

  Tel: +44-(0)23 8059 6111: Fax +44-(0)23 8059 6115
  email: ps_at_soc.soton.ac.uk ; ps2_at_soton.ac.uk
  Web : http://www.soc.soton.ac.uk