Re: Scientific publishing is not just about administering peer-review

From: Albert Henderson <chessNIC_at_COMPUSERVE.COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:31:14 -0400

on Fri, 17 Oct 2003 Fytton Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK> wrote

> This is fair comment, but many of the desirable features mentioned by
> Albert are provided by retaining the identity of individual journals, with
> their named academic editors and editorial boards, in the online Open
> Access era. The cost of maintaining a subscriber list, on the other hand,
> disappears if a journal is operated on an Open Access basis.

        My point exactly. The service to readers disappears
        right along with the cost.

        Best wishes,

Albert Henderson
Pres., Chess Combination Inc.
POB 2423 Bridgeport CT 06608-0423
Former Editor, PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY 1994-2000
<70244.1532_at_compuserve.com>