Re: Draft letter for institutions to sign to implement Berlin Declaration

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 15:28:36 +0000

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Arkadiusz Jadczyk wrote:

> There are many institutions that will be happy to run [open access]
> journals, and they will always find the little money that is needed.
>
> "Charging the author or institution" opens a way to setting up a
> bureaucracy that will take costs higher and higher.

Before we get carried away with hypotheses and counter-hypotheses about
how still-nonexistent open-access journals could or should cover their
costs, may I remind commentators that this thread is about implementing
institutional open-access *provision* and not about how to fund
open-access journals?

The reason one has to keep citing the 5%/95% figure is because the 5%
solution seems to have a way of quickly co-opting all available mental
space!

    UNIFIED OPEN-ACCESS PROVISION STRATEGY:
            (OAJ) Researchers publish their research in an
    open-access journal if a suitable one exists [5%], otherwise
            (OAA) they publish it in a suitable toll-access
    journal [95%] and also self-archive it in their own research
    institution's open-access research archive.

the American Scientist Open Access Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01 & 02 & 03):
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html
    Post discussion to: american-scientist-open-access-forum_at_amsci.org

Unified Dual Open-Access-Provision Policy:
            journal whenever one exists.
            http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/boaifaq.htm#journals
            http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php