Re: Should Publishers Offer Free-Access Services?

From: Guedon Jean-Claude <guedon_at_ERE.UMONTREAL.CA>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 21:41:44 -0400

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Tony Barry <tonyb_at_netinfo.com.au> wrote:

> Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 05:53:07 -0400
> From: Tony Barry <tonyb_at_netinfo.com.au> <harnad_at_COGSCI.SOTON.AC.UK>
> To: SEPTEMBER-FORUM_at_AMSCI-FORUM.AMSCI.ORG
> Subject: Re: Should Publishers Offer Free-Access Services?
>
> At 9:22 AM 1998/08/28, Vivienne Monty wrote:
>
> >--What is of greater concern in for pay services is that libraries are NOT
> >paying for archival copies, that is, they are paying for current access
> >and when they quit paying annual fees, all access is cut off. At least in
> >the paper world, a library had what they bought and researchers could
> >refer to materials even centuries later.
>
> Actually its worse than that. Access contracts normally preclude providing
> copies to other libraries via the inter-library loan system. The reliance
> that small libraries have placed on the major research libraries as
> suppliers of copies of articles from journals that they could not afford is
> lost.
>
> The fair dealing and inter-library traffic in copies under the copyright
> law is overridden by contract law. Each of you in your respective
> countries should watch proposed changes in copyright law very carefully.
>
> Tony

> mailto:tonyb_at_netinfo.com.au | Ningaui Pty Ltd
> mailto:me_at_Tony-Barry.emu.id.au | GPO Box 1680
> http://purl.oclc.org/NET/Tony.Barry | Canberra ACT 2601
> Phone +61 2 6241 7659 | AUSTRALIA

On all this issue, An Okerson has expressed herself very cogently and
forcefully. I translated her speech in Caen last April. It dealt a lot
with that issue and it shook the French librarians that attended that
meeting.

I have echoed it in my Leiter lecture (see my offer to distribute in an
earlier message).

jc

        Jean-Claude Guédon Tel. 514-343-6208
        Département de littérature comparée Fax. 514-343-2211
        Université de Montréal
        CP 6128, Succursale "Centre-ville" Surfaces
        Montréal, Qc H3C 3J7
        Canada http://www.pum.umontreal.ca/revues/surfaces/

See you at INET'99, San Jose, June 22-25, 1999
http://www.isoc.org/inet99