Re: Savings from Converting to On-Line-Only: 30%- or 70%+ ?

From: Marvin Margoshes <physchem_at_earthlink.net> <harnad_at_COGSCI.SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 13:11:11 -0400

Good points. And we should remember that the editor chooses the reviewers,
and not at random. I edited a journal for 7 years (until I burned out from
having to read bad manuscripts), and I know how reviewers are chosen. The
editor learns which reviewers make only cursory comments (or turn the task
over to grad students), which ones make constructive criticisms, and which
ones just like to tear manuscripts to ribbons.

Also, a good editor does more than wait to see what manuscripts come in the
mail. He solicits papers from the leading researchers, for example when
they are active in "hot" areas that the editor wants to include in the scope
of the journal.

Marvin Margoshes