Re: Restructuring Learned Society Communications

From: Professor L.W. Hurtado <hurtadol_at_div.ed.ac.uk> <harnad_at_COGSCI.SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:13:56 -0400

Just a quick notice that the latest (UK) Times Higher Eductation
Supplement (Oct. 16, p. 6) mentions a new development involving
the U.S. Assoc. of Research Libraries and the UK Standing
Conference of National & University Libraries, together with the
Royal Society of Chemistry. The plan is for such learned
societies to produce & manage e-journals at a modest cost, with
the libraries signing up in advance to purchase them and make
them available. With learned societies sponsoring/publishing
them, the e-journals should more likely and more quickly be seen
as having sufficient quality & prestige to receive the submissions of
significant researchers in relevant fields.

I am "dead chuffed" (to use a UK expression), for it looks very
much like a step in the direction of the university/learned societies
coalition for e-journals that I've been urging for several years. Nice
when dreams seem to come true, even if only in stages.

Larry Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College
Mound Place