Re: Scholar's Forum: A New Model For Scholarly Communication

From: Marvin Margoshes <physchem_at_EARTHLINK.NET>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 16:10:56 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_COGLIT.ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
To: SEPTEMBER-FORUM_at_AMSCI-FORUM.AMSCI.ORG
<SEPTEMBER-FORUM_at_AMSCI-FORUM.AMSCI.ORG>
Date: Monday, May 03, 1999 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: Scholar's Forum: A New Model For Scholarly Communication

<snip>>My comrade-in-arms, Paul Ginsparg, is quite right. One can lead a
herd
>of learned thoroughbreds to the most beneficent body of water, but it
>is anyone's guess what will make them drink.
>
>That is why as much of the time and energy of zealots like ourselves
>must be spent in ostension and polemics as in concrete steps to spruce
>up the communal watering hole still further.

No, it is why somebody (better several somebodies) must try online models of
scientific publishing to learn what works. (Theoretical physicists are
allowed to try to do it by equations.)