Re: 2.0K vs. 0.2K

From: Thomas J. Walker <tjw_at_GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 11:51:16 -0400

At 10:43 AM 5/7/99 -0400, you wrote:
>On Thu, 6 May 1999, Stevan Harnad wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 6 May 1999, Thomas J. Walker wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > I was naive to think that Societies would think it win-win to sell at a
>> > profit what their authors want.
>
>If it was something that obviously increased quarterly profits you
>can expect the commercial journals to jump on it faster than societies!
>We're non-profit after all! :-)
>
> Arthur (apsmith_at_aps.org)

Commercial publishers should be doing everything possible to preserve S/L/P
because that will allow them to continue their present, generous profits.
Society publishers should be doing everything possible, so long as it is
fiscally responsible, to speed and promote free access. Their members and
authors will eventually demand it, so should not societies lead rather than
be pushed or dragged?

Selling electronic reprints, so long as paper publication continues, can be
quite profitable (and thus fiscally responsible). It would help members
and authors become aware of what they are missing and would make it easier
for authors to transition to paying publication charges once journals are
all-electronic and toll free.

Tom
Thomas J. Walker
Department of Entomology & Nematology
University of Florida, PO Box 110620, Gainesville, FL 32611-0620
E-mail: tjw_at_gnv.ifas.ufl.edu FAX: (352)392-0190
Web: http://csssrvr.entnem.ufl.edu/~walker/tjwbib/walker.htm