Re: 2.0K vs. 0.2K

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_COGLIT.ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 14:41:06 +0100

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Thomas J. Walker wrote:

> Since 1994, the Florida Entomological Society
> has *given* e-reprints to all Fla. Entomol. authors as an added service.
> This service is paid from the $45 per page fee that authors have paid since
> 1990. However, if library subscriptions begin to drop, e-reprints may then
> be sold rather than given away.

Until journals scale down to their one essential service, peer review,
and let public archives like LANLe (and E-biomed and Scholar's Forum, as
soon as they are ready) handle the rest. The page charge will be for that
service, not for the e-prints.

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Author.Eprint.Archives/

> Secondly, my proposal does not assume that S/L/P can persist. It assumes
> that paper publication isn't going to end immediately and that in the
> meanwhile some authors will want to pay a fee (e.g., price of 100 paper
> reprints) to secure immediate, permanent, toll-free Web access for the
> formatted, refereed, archived version of their articles...

They can get almost exactly that for free already, by self-archiving
their final, refereed drafts in their local and global servers, as
above.

> APS is coming close to giving such access away (!) but [...PDF...]

The exact PDF page images are not worth the extra money. The (refereed,
accepted) figures and text, reformatted without pages for online
self-archiving, are just fine.

Stevan Harnad harnad_at_cogsci.soton.ac.uk
Professor of Cognitive Science harnad_at_princeton.edu
Department of Electronics and phone: +44 1703 592-582
Computer Science fax: +44 1703 592-865
University of Southampton http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/
Highfield, Southampton http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/
SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/