Re: NIH's Public Archive for the Refereed Literature: PUBMED CENTRAL

From: Shulenburger, David E <dshulenburger_at_ukans.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:18:58 +0000

Stevan, The original Varmus announcement cited my work along with that of
three others but I see little resemblance between PubMed Central and NEAR.
For NEAR to work every published piece must end up in NEAR within some fixed
period after publication elsewhere. With PubMed Central only the work that
associations agree to put in it will appear.

NIH could have structured PubMed Central like NEAR. Doing so would have
been easily accomplished by including as a condition of grant receipt the
requirement that any work published in a scholarly journal resulting from
the grant would appear in PubMed Central X days after appearing in print.
This would ensure that the entire set of NIH funded work would be accessible
in one place.
des