Re: ACS meeting comments on e-prints

From: Ian Ross <i.ross_at_CMCB.UQ.EDU.AU>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:48:37 +1000

Sadly, this is not just about rich US universities. Our University of
Queensland library, depite sterling efforts, has suffered badly from
expensive journal syndrome, yet we too are part of the research community.

>> What is more aggravating is that U.S. universities begging
>> for free dissemination are very rich. The goverment pays
>> them $5 billion this year in "reimbursements" for overhead
>> connected with research, including libraries. Universities
>> then record huge profits and hoard financial assets at the
>> expense of excellence. Library patrons go begging ...

Dr Ian L. Ross PhD
Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology
The University of Queensland
AUSTRALIA 4072
Ph 61-7-3878-8618 or 61-7-3665-4447
fax 61-7-3878-8663 or 61-7-3665-4388