Re: The July 6-7 NYAM "Freedom of Information" Meeting

From: Michael Jacobson <mjmd_at_JOURNALCLUB.ORG>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 19:17:51 -0400

My attention has been drawn to the fact that I neglected to mention Paul
Ginsparg when I stated:

"There were only two people who argued forcefully and eloquently for
radically revamping the copyright status and wresting control from
publishers: Barry and Pat Brown."

I stand corrected and somewhat red-faced, particularly since Paul is one of
the originators of the whole concept.

Upon reflection, the reason I didn't think of him in this context is that,
in my own mind, the situation in physics is very different from that in the
biomedical sciences (mainly the influence of a vast "medical-industrial
complex"). I don't want to argue this point here, and I'm sure most will
not agree with me. I only bring it up as a sincere explanation why I didn't
mention Paul in my note about the conference.

Michael Jacobson

Michael Jacobson, MD, MPH
Journal Club on the Web
http://www.journalclub.org/