Re: Economic effects of link-based search engines on e-journals

From: Marvin <physchem_at_TELOCITY.COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:17:50 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerome McDonough" <mcdonoug_at_elmer4.bobst.nyu.edu>
To: <AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM_at_LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2000 4:18 AM
Subject: Re: Economic effects of link-based search engines on
e-journals

> At 05:10 PM 10/1/00 +0100, Stevan Harnad wrote:
> >Eric is a technical expert here and I am not. So there may be something
> >I am not seeing or understanding, but it seems to me that the idea that
> >google itself, searching web-wide, is any sort of a solution for
> >researchers who want to search all and only the refereed journal
> >literature, is erroneous.
<snip>
There is such a search engine at http://thescientificworld.com It is a
commercial venture and charges for copies of aticles, including a fee to the
copyright owner. That won't be to the liking of those who want to get
something they think is important without paying for it. The site includes
20,000 journals and only the years 1999 and 2000. It also includes an area
for submitting articles for online publication after review, with the
authors retaining copyright.