Re: Central vs. Distributed Archives

From: Greg Kuperberg <greg_at_MATH.UCDAVIS.EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 23:44:42 -0800

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 10:08:09PM +0000, Steve Hitchcock wrote:
> NCSTRL was effectively the model for OAi. Greg Kuperberg suggests that
> NCSTRL has not been successful.

I don't want to disparage a project as big and difficult as NCSTRL.
It has had some success. It's important. But I don't think that it's
nearly as successful as the arXiv. I guess I said something stronger
before, that NCSTRL is not as heavily read as the math arXiv, which
is much smaller than the whole arXiv system. Well possibly I'm wrong
on that. But I note that the math arXiv is just as heavily read on a
per-paper basis as the larger parent arXiv system.
--
  /\  Greg Kuperberg (UC Davis)
 /  \