Re: NIH's Public Archive for the Refereed Literature: PUBMED CENTRAL

From: Jim Till <till_at_UHNRES.UTORONTO.CA>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:01:20 -0500

A recent advocacy effort about PubMed Central (found via:
http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org/index.shtml):

"publiclibraryofscience.org was established to organize support
within the scientific community for online public libraries of
science, providing unrestricted free access to the archival record of
scientific research."

"Scientists can express their support for this effort by signing an
open letter. 1507 scientists from 52 countries have already signed.
Your support will help us to persuade the publishers of scientific
journals to commit to giving their archival material to the public
domain for distribution through online public libraries."

"More information about this effort, the current editorial policies of
journals, and related issues is available in our FAQ. We also
encourage you to read an editorial written by Richard Roberts and
published in PNAS describing why he thinks scientists should support
this effort."

URLs for:

Open letter: http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org/plosLetter.htm

FAQ: http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org/plosFAQ.htm

Editorial: http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org/plosRoberts.htm

The editorial is also available via the Jan. 16 issue of PNAS:

Richard J. Roberts
"PubMed Central: The GenBank of the published literature"
PNAS 2001 98: 381-382.

Jim Till
University of Toronto