Re: Recent Comments by Albert Henderson

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:23:25 -0400

In medicine what IM does not cover is primarily the
non-English language less-important specialty journals. There is another
indexing service that covers them well, Excerpta Medica.

It seems perfectly rational for both to exist: a University like ours,
without a medical school, does not need Excerpta Medica but does need
Index Medicus. A medical school library would want both.

(Third-world journals were being covered a few years ago by a CD product
called ExtraMed, does anyone know if this is a continuing project?)

IM does indeed not cover non-journal material,
and I suspect this is at present a gap in the
bibliographic coverage of secondary services in many disciplines.
Does CA cover individual chapters in monographs, for example?
They can be articles to all intents and purposes.

I don't think this is what Al meant, but I suspect that what we do need
is more integrated indexing and cross linking, including not just
formally published literature but preprints and so on. It is possible that
new services like Pubsci, and other more sophisticated automated tools to
be developed, may do better than the conventional services--and conceivably at
a lower cost.

--
David Goodman
Biology Librarian