Re: Citation and Rejection Statistics for Eprints and Ejournals

From: Greg Kuperberg <greg_at_MATH.UCDAVIS.EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:29:04 -0800

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 03:00:27PM -0400, David Goodman wrote:
> There is also a difference bewteen the various fields about how much work
> justifies a separate publication. This is sometimes called the LPU, "Least
> Publishable Unit."

Yes, when I went up for promotion, I had one paper which I thought
was very good, so I argued that it was equivalent to 5-10 LPUs.

I'm only half joking about this. As I pointed out before, promotion is
the main sustainer of the otherwise obselete journal system in
many areas of physics and some areas of math.
--
  /\  Greg Kuperberg (UC Davis)
 /  \