Re: Top 10 reasons why print journals have a future

From: J.W.T.Smith <J.W.T.Smith_at_UKC.AC.UK>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 16:12:48 +0100

Stevan,

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Stevan Harnad wrote:

> The problem is not freeing the refereed journal
> literature from PAPER but from ACCESS-BARRIERS
>
> Top 10 reasons why print journals have a future

.
.
> > 2. To keep library costs high so Universities can pay professors less
>
> Refereed journals are not the only on-paper product the universities
> have to buy (there are also books and magazines). Indeed, the refereed
> journal literature is the size of a flea, compared with the rest of the
> (print-on-paper) dog.

This may be slightly off-topic but for many hard science subjects (in both
UK and US universities) the cost of journal subscriptions can be 90 or
more percent of their library budget. In this case the 'flea' has almost
consumed the 'dog'.

Yet another reason we need a fundamental change in the distribution of
research results and related forms of academic publishing. The current
system is not only illogical its also expensive.

Regards,

John Smith,
University of Kent at Canterbury, UK.