Re: Update on Public Library of Science Initiative

From: Peter Suber <peters_at_earlham.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 17:52:21 +0100

At 01:16 PM 9/3/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Two other current initiatives are relevant here. ICAAP is a mutual
>self-help organisation for newly established free e-journals (mostly in the
>humanities). SPARC is a library-centred initiative to support the setting
>up of lower-cost alternatives to overpriced journals. Have the PLoS
>initiators tried to establish diplomatic relations with these other
>organisations? SPARC journals aren't free, but might be willing to be
>PLoS-compliant.
>
>Fytton Rowland.

      I'm on the ICAAP board and have discussed this with Mike Sosteric,
the ICAAP director. We fully support PLoS and can imagine many large and
small ways that "diplomatic relations" would help both organizations and
the larger cause to which they are both committed. ICAAP can provide
technology and support for new free online journals. It can work with PLoS
to extend its initiative to the humanities and social sciences. We'd like
to explore issues of mutual concern and give any assistance we can. If
anyone on this list can speak for PLoS, please contact me or Mike Sosteric
(mikes_at_athabascau.ca); meantime, we'll try other ways to contact the PLoS
leadership.

      Peter

Peter Suber, Professor of Philosophy
Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana, 47374
Email peters_at_earlham.edu
Web http://www.earlham.edu/~peters

Editor, The Free Online Scholarship Newsletter
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/