Re: Interview with Elsevier Science

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 12:02:32 +0000

At 12:35 06/11/01 +0000, Barry Mahon wrote:
>Richard Poynder wrote:
>
> > I shall be interviewing Michael Mabe, Elsevier Science's Director of
> > Academic Relations, for a publication called Information Today
> > (www.infotoday.com) next week, and would welcome suggestions from any
> > "users" as to the kind of questions that they would like to see put to him.
>
>Hi Richard,
>
>I expect you'll get some pretty unprintable responses from this list!!
>
>I would like to ask what Elsevier feels about the movement away from
>peer review to open archives. Besides feeling threatened which they
>would not admit, do they feel that (in certain subject areas) the peer
>review process as a concept is no longer valid? If not why not?

For a fascinating independent view on this see
Jean-Claude Guédon
In Oldenburg’s Long Shadow: Librarians, Research Scientists, Publishers,
and the Control of Scientific Publishing
http://www.arl.org/arl/proceedings/138/guedon.html

He tackles exactly this point. It's a long paper (published as a monograph
in fact), and you have to read a long way down to find it, but the whole
paper is excellent throughout and leads to a full understanding of why
publishers like Elsevier are as they are.

Steve Hitchcock
Open Citation (OpCit) Project <http://opcit.eprints.org/>
IAM Research Group, Department of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865