Re: Copyright: Form, Content, and Prepublication Incarnations

From: Richard Poynder <rich_p_at_DIAL.PIPEX.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 09:24:08 +0000

At 12:59 09/11/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>But EU law also has "moral rights", which have no financial value and are
>non-transferable, and these include the right of the author to be
>identified as author of the work. I realise the US law is different, but
>surely it cannot allow false attribution of authorship?
>
>Fytton Rowland.

An good point, but as a freelance journalist I can tell you that at least
one UK national newspaper sent out a form to its freelancers last year
asking them to, amongst other things, "waive" their moral rights -- the aim
being I believe to be able to build up their article database without the
tiresome addition of bylines (and maybe also with an eye to the Tasini
ruling). This is as near transferring your rights as it gets I would think.

Richard Poynder
Freelance Journalist
Phone: 0793-202-4032
E-mail: rich_p_at_dial.pipex.com