Re: FOS Newsletter Excerpts

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 20:08:13 -0500

When I want to copy or repost, I
always ask the original author simply as a fundamental
matter of courtesy, but also because the situation might have changed.

I have sometimes put a copyright line at the bottom of things I've
written and posted, merely as an indication that I would like to be
informed if someone wants to copy or repost them. This is especially true
for things like elaborate database instructions, as I don't really want
long-obsolete things floating around with my name on it. (Though in some
such cases they may actually fall into the works-for-hire category with
the copyright belonging to the university, as part of my job is to write
such instructions.)

On the rare occasions when a publisher wants to pay me money, I have
generally simply not bothered to fill in the form and get the money. So
there are one or two things out there that the publishers think they own,
but don't, because I've never actually signed the copyright assignment. I
must admit it would probably be different if the amount of money
were other than trivial. I am much happier with gifts-in-kind, like free
subscriptions; it preserves the feeling that I write as one colleague
helping others.

 David Goodman, Princeton
University
Biology Library dgoodman_at_princeton.edu 609-258-3235