Re: Generic Eprint Archive Hosts for Researchers Whose University Has Not Yet Provided Them?

From: Peter Suber <peters_at_earlham.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 19:00:41 +0000

> ps> if cross-archive searching makes the actual location of content
> ps> irrelevant, then why not launch an archive specifically for those works
> ps> with no other convenient home? Authors whose institutions are slow to
> ps> accept the idea of an eprints server, and whose disciplines have no
> ps> disciplinary archive, could deposit their works in the "common
> ps> archive". Wouldn't the launch of common archives accelerate the growth
> ps> and acceptance of (1) the OAI network, (2) self-archiving, and (3) free
> ps> online scholarship in general?

> sh> It would indeed: Distributed University-based Home Eprint Archives and
> sh> Centralized Discipline-based or Generic Archives are all interoperable if
> sh> OAI-compliant. The free Eprints software for creating OAI-compliant
> sh> Archives is available. Generic hosts are encouraged to use it to
> sh> provide resources like the potentially very valuable one you describe.
> sh> http://www.arl.org/sparc/pubs/enews/aug01.html#6

If any reader of this list is willing to launch a common eprints
archive, and a web page explaining to novices how to submit and search
for papers, I'd be very happy to publicize it in my newsletter. If
there's more than one, I'll publish a list and publicize them all.

Peter Suber, Professor of Philosophy
Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana, 47374
Email peters_at_earlham.edu
Web http://www.earlham.edu/~peters

Editor, The Free Online Scholarship Newsletter
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/