Re: Full-Text Useage Statistics: Open Access vs. Firewalled

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:20:12 -0500

I would like to emphasize Jan's comment on the use and meaning of impact
factors. A numerical value like "2" has meaning only in comparison with
similar journals in similar fields. Indeed, to consider a journal of
lesser quality -- by any criterion -- only makes sense in the same
field. And, as Jan and others have pointed out elsewhere, impact factors
for review journals cannot reasonably be compared with those for the
primary research literature.

In a field such as genetics or cell biology, an impact factor of 2 is
only in the top 40%;
in marine biology it's in the top 10%.
In tropical medicine it's at the very top.
This does not in the least represent the relative scientific quality or
social value of the subjects, merely the pattern of publication and
citation in the subject.

I just checked, and in biochemistry my library has no journals with an
impact factor below 1, but we have a great many of them in fields like
general zoology or biogeography. The selection is based on local use,
not on global impact factors, which often do not reflect the material
needed here. Many of the areas of research of the scientists here are in
fields characterized by very infrequent citation.

I am not among those who think that only the highest quality work in a
subject is worthy of dissemination; I think all valid worthwhile
research should be generally available.
And BioMed Central should aim as high as possible, I share Jan's hope
that it will attain that rank.

--
David Goodman
Research Librarian