Association for Computer Machinery Copyright/Self-Archiving Policy

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_cogprints.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:58:31 +0000

Below, Laurent Gerby kindly draws attention to the Association for
Computer Machinery (ACM) Interim Copyright [and Self-Archiving] Policy,
which is just fine.

There is a silly sentence at the end of [3] about "redistribution"
which is about as meaningful and as enforceable as the distinction
between (publicly!) self-archiving on a "personal" server vs. a
"public" server. But the clause can do no harm, and if it makes
ACM's Gutenberg-era copyright lawyers happy, it's quite welcome!

    As part of a copyright transfer to ACM, the original copyright holders
    (authors or authors' employer) retain:

    [1] all other proprietary rights to the work such as patent,
    [2] the right to reuse any portion of the work, without fee, in future
        works of the author's own, provided that the ACM
        citation and notice of the ACM copyright are included, and
    [3] the right to post their own author-versions of preprints and
        revisions, including versions covered by ACM copyright but
        not versions downloaded from the ACM Digital Library, in a personal
        collection on their own or their employer's server.
        Such copies must be limited to noncommercial distributions and
        personal use by others and must include (1) the ACM
        copyright notice, (2) a full citation (in standard bibliographic
        style) to the ACM publication, (3) a hot link (or citation) to
        the definitive copy in ACM's Digital Library, and (4) a notice that
        the copy is posted by permission of ACM and may not
        be redistributed. (See §2.5, §2.6 regarding CoRR, and §3.2.)
   [4] the right of an employer that originally owned copyright to
        distribute copies of works of its author-employees within its
        organization.