Re: ALPSP statement on BOAI

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:48:24 -0400

The relationship between toc, searches, abstracts, and full article
downloads (both html and pdf) is a very interesting and difficult one.
The factors seem to be very different for different journals. It seems
in some cases users only go to search or toc if they intend to download,
and for some quite the opposite. To what extent this is
journal-dependent or field-dependent requires further analysis. As an
example of the differences found, I quote some recent APS stats from my
institution:

PRB,condensed matter: tocs 13,834; searches 2501; Abs. 3529; arts.3794
PRE, statistical, etc.: tocs 2034; searches 1218; Abs. 1863; arts.2034

I do not think one can as a matter of course add them up for a
particular journal and get a meaningful total. The providers, and those
who run their own servers, do have the log data from which this
information could in principle be calculated, but I do not know if
anyone has. I can imagine it would be a very formidable task, but if
anyone would like to talk to me about it, I'm interested.

--
David Goodman
Research Librarian and