Eprints.org is part of GNU free software project as of 1 July

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 14:48:01 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2002
From: Christopher Gutteridge <cjg_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>

EPrints.org is now part of the GNU http://www.gnu.org/ project. In a
nutshell this means it has to conform to some code and distribution
standards, and has to be free http://www.eprints.org/gnu.php

The GNU Project
What this means:

    * We have to obey the GNU standards of coding and packaging our software.
    * We have to keep track of the authorship of all parts of the system.
    * We have to make EPrints entirely free and only depend on free
      software. This does not mean it won't work with non-free software, just
      that it can't depend on non-free software.
    * The part of the eprints web site which deals with the GNU EPrints
      software will obey GNU guidelines.

All of which are quite reasonable and we already do (more or less). Some
things may take a little longer. but...

    * By special agreement with GNU, the homepage for eprints will
      remain at eprints.org
    * The University of Southampton will not hand over the copyright to
      GNU - the university is big enough to fight our own battles if we
      have to.
    * Parts of this website will deal with research projects based on
      eprints. These are not bound by the GNU guidelines.

For more information on GNU see http://www.gnu.org/