Articles on BOAI

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:24:23 +0100

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Charles Oppenheim wrote:

> Stevan, for a major literature review I am doing, I need to refer to an
> authoritative article on the BOAI. Ideally, I'd like a major article on the
> initiative and its impact, rather than the original "call to arms" press
> release. Are you aware of any major article that has appeared, whether in
> print or electronic?

Charles, there have been a number of articles in the popular press,
and perhaps Peter Suber could tell you which is the best (rather,
the least-worst) of these. I am not sure whether there have been any
scholarly-journal articles on BOAI per se yet, because it is still only
5 months old, but perhaps my BOAI colleagues will know of one.

BOAI consists of two strategies for achieving open access.

On BOAI Strategy 1 (self-archiving) in particular, I think it is fair to
say that the definitive paper is my own 2001 article in Nature:

    Harnad, S. (2001) The Self-Archiving Initiative. Nature 410: 1024-1025
    http://www.nature.com/nature/debates/e-access/Articles/harnad.html
    http://cogprints.soton.ac.uk/documents/disk0/00/00/16/42/index.html

On BOAI Strategy 2 (creating/converting open-access journals) I believe
Mike Eisen and the Public LIbrary of Science (PLoS) contingent of BOAI
have written a recent paper. http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org/
I will let Mike (or Peter) reply directly about that.

Peter Suber himself has written several excellent papers recently on
the BOAI.

Best wishes,

Stevan