Re: Book on future of STM publishers

From: Tim Brody <tdb01r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:01:57 +0100

I presume Albert Henderson's's assertion that "student work" is of lesser
value is based on personal opinion rather than on any scientometric
study of the relative impact of different types of research.

I believe the majority of the members of research groups consist of
research students (PhDs); hence the novel work that research students
undertake forms the bedrock from which research in general is developed
(not only through the students carrying their own work on into research
posts and professorships, but also as it feeds directly into the student's
research group and the research community in general).

It would seem, therefore, that research dissertations may be a potentially
valuable resource after all - one that for too long has been accessible
only from library archives.

All the best,
Tim Brody
(PhD Research Student)