Re: Chronicle of Higher Education Article on "Self-Publication"

From: Laurence Bebbington <Laurence.Bebbington_at_NOTTINGHAM.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:49:50 +0000

>>> harnad_at_ECS.SOTON.AC.UK 20/11/02 20:43:49 >>>
On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 agrimwade_at_the-scientist.com wrote:

> Scholarly Publishers Aim to Woo Librarians Away From
> Self-Published Research
> By SCOTT CARLSON (Chronicle of Higher Education)
>
> ...The [publishers'] campaign aims, in
> part, to quash a newfound enthusiasm among some librarians for
> self-publishing research results online, a practice that lets
> scholars bypass academic journals that many researchers say
> are too slow and too costly.

Ah me, what unremitting confusion!

(1) Researchers are not self-PUBLISHING, they are self-ARCHIVING their
research, both before (preprints) and after publishing it in
peer-reviewed journals (postprints).
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/resolution.htm#1.4

Steven

You may consider that the posting of a pre-print is self-archiving rather than self-publishing and you are perfectly entitled to argue for your distinction. I appreciate your views on copyright etc. but it might be mentioned that s.175 of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 states quite clearly that:

" ... "publication", in relation to a work--

(a) means the issue of copies to the public, and
(b) includes, in the case of a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, making it available to the public by means of an electronic retrieval system;
and related expressions shall be construed accordingly."

Quite clearly, whatever distinctions you wish to make, it would seem that the mounting of a literary work on a pre-print server constitutes "publishing" in law, since a literary work is being made available to the public by means of an electronic retrieval system. It seems to me that this is quite an important point. In a purely legal sense the work is "published" and certain consequences inevitably flow from that fact.

Laurence

Laurence W. Bebbington
Law Librarian
Information Services