Re: Bearing the cost of open access (was: Nature's vs. Science's Embargo Policy)

From: Jan Velterop <jan_at_BIOMEDCENTRAL.COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:30:59 -0000

I would wholeheartedly agree with the notion that neither individual reader
nor individual author is burdenend with the cost of science communication.
Institutions bearing these costs is an obvious way forward, but better still
would be to regard the cost of publication as an intrinsic element of doing
the research and see it as just one of the costs to be covered by research
grants. For publicly funded research (the majority) this also has the
benefit of a direct and transparent link between the public source of the
money and the public accessibility of the results.

With regard to opening up access to science done in developing countries, I
would like to draw this list's attention to the fantastic work that's being
done by Scielo: www.scielo.org

Jan Velterop

<snip>