Re: nature

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:01:26 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Jan Velterop wrote:

> Why I suggest expressing disappointment (or very strong disappointment,
> perhaps) rather than bad faith, is that I believe that allowing it in the
> first place, by mistake, in a message from a very senior member of staff,
> doesn't quite amount to bad faith. Not even their muddled policy does.
> Stupidity or naivety or ignorance maybe. But not bad faith.

Ok, Jan, you are probably right, and I certainly agree that if something
has in reality *not* been done out of bad faith, but simply out of
naivete, then it is neither just nor helpful to characterize it as bad
faith. (In fact, if you re-read your own message, and Mike's, you will I
think find that *you* came rather closer to calling it something like
bad faith, whereas I was defending it as sincere! But I admit that I was
ready to entertain the hypothesis that it might have been bad faith
after all, and so would force them to either fix or 'fess up!).

I can't tell if you wrote this before or after I sent the letter itself.
In that letter I expressed it as disappointment (hypothetical --
contingent, as the outcome is not yet known!). Was the way I put it
there ok?

> Again, I hope that they feel that they have painted themselves in such a
> corner that the only honourable way out is to unequivocally allow open
> self-archiving. Even if they feel that they have to impose an embargo on
> self-archiving for a few months (which is what I expect they might do).

There's already an (inconsistent) implicit embargo, for the license does
not allow self-archiving until the printed version has appeared. You are
right that they may want to extend that a bit (in which case it is not
really a license: "You retain the right... but that right is embargoed
until...").

But I don't care at all about that, for the simple reason that Nature
has dropped the Ingelfinger rule! That means it is a "green" publisher
(allows both preprint and postprint self-archiving) rather than a "blue"
publisher (allowing only one or the other):
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ls/disresearch/romeo/Romeo%20Publisher%20Policies.htm

Hence, during the postprint "embargo" period (if the author bothers to
honor it at all -- I can't see why an author would, and how it could
possibly be enforced, the interval being so short and the detection and
action being so long!), the preprint would be available all along!
Perhaps *here* would be a sensible place (for a pedantic author) to use
the preprint+corrigenda strategy after all! Append the corrections as
soon as they are available, and a note saying when the postprint will be
posted too! (Apart from this, the P&C strategy is really just meant to
be an intuition pump, so authors can see the *logic* of the legality of
self-archiving: I expect it to persuade worriers that there is no problem
whatsoever with posting the postprint, not to actually bother with the
P&C.)

> Success. I shall refrain from publicly expressing my doubt about the
> intentions of publishers I know, and let sleeping dogs lie!

I will too. Often the best way to get human being to do the right thing
is to assume (and express) the best about them, rather than the worst.

Cheers, Stevan

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/399we152.htm