Re: Open Archives and UK Institutions: An Overview

From: Lars Aronsson <lars_at_aronsson.se>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:57:53 +0100 (CET)

Thank you Stevan for all the pointers. I'll just answer the "why on
earth" question.

> > prohibits its results from being quoted or used in non-open archives?
>
> You can set any rules you like. Getting them obeyed is another matter.
> But why on earth would a researcher, writing for research impact, want
> to make an arbitrary and counterproductive rule like that in the
> first place?

Researchers should want to have open access to any works that cite
their work or continue research in the same direction. Having to pay
or jump through hoops for that access is an obstacle to their own
work. Such a license, if enforcable and embraced by a core of
leading researchers, could help coerce the entire research community
within a field towards open access publishing.

I guess enforcability would be a problem, though, since copyright or
patents don't cover ideas and right to read and reference. The GNU
General Public License (GPL) for free software is based on the fact
that the work is covered by copyright.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars_at_aronsson.se)
  Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/