Re: The True Cost of the Essentials (Implementing Peer Review)

From: Fred Spilhaus <FSpilhaus_at_AGU.ORG>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:11:36 -0400

David: Your observation is interesting from the point of view of
the small and mid-size publishing society. I find that the cost
of negotiating the first license, analogous to contract
administration I presume, which is clearly identifiable, can be a
large fraction of the subscription price for a relatively small
journal.

Until we figure out how to get the lawyers out of this loop I
forsee a real increse in cost at our side as well. My deepest
concern is that changing models that we must experiment with will
continue to drag us into more complex relationships that will
further increase legal, audit and other non-productive overhead
charges.

--
Fred Spilhaus    Executive Director, AGU
2000 Florida Avenue NW    Washington DC 20009  USA