Re: Free Access vs. Open Access

From: Barry Mahon <mahons1_at_eircom.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:57:59 +0100

>Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:41:01 +0100
>From: Sally Morris <sec-gen_at_ALPSP.ORG>
>Subject: Re: Free Access vs. Open Access
>
> 5) Whether the item and/or its metadata are deposited in certain
>types of databases (this last seems to me supremely irrelevant)

The actual technical aspects of the database loading may be irrelevant but there
is an important corollorary - secondary information services (abstracting and
indexing) play an increasingly important role as the primary literature becomes
more and more diffused in the location of its primary publication. These are
certainly not free - it costs a lot of money to collect and collate the material, even
though a number of the organisations doing this work are non-profit, such as
Chemical Abstracts, Inspec, etc.

BTW, ICSTI will be holding a meeting in January 2004 on the topic of the 'new
economic models' as they apply to science publishing, of which the Fee or Free
and Open v Free are important aspects.

Barry Mahon, Executive Director, ICSTI