Re: The Green and Gold Roads to Open Access

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:21:27 +0000

A glib response to the STM publishers' statement (below) as far as open
access is concerned would be: "so no news there, then." But it raises more
important issues.

First, it is right to recognise the remarkable progress that journal
publishers have made in becoming digital in the last decade or so, as is
outlined. The statement welcomes the new open-access publishers, as it
should (although it conspicuously avoids the term open access, referring
instead to 'wide and continuous dissemination'). But that is just the
starting point for where we are now.

The statement is a response to the open-access movement as a whole, even
though it never mentions open-access author self-archiving directly. Now
this element of the open-access model is not predicated against journals or
even against toll-access journals, as has often been stated in this forum.
It recognises the important role of high quality peer reviewed journals,
which the archives supplement. What is needed in response from publishers
in statements like the one below is how they can support open-access
archiving even if they do not offer open access themselves. Simple measures
such as writing into all agreements with authors the right to self-archive
their published papers would be a start.

Instead, the shortcoming of the statement is encapsulated in its use of the
term 'widely accessible' rather than openly accessible. In other words,
toll-access publishers want to compete with open-access archives in terms
of access, when they could deploy resources more efficiently by focussing
on other services that would benefit authors and readers.

Open-access publishers such as those we have now focus resources on e.g.
peer review, high production values and the production of preservable
formats, qualities that are accessible to all. Subscription journals have
the same values, but competing in terms of access without offering open
access must by definition be wasting resources on effectively preventing
access to the majority. It is no longer necessary for this to happen.

This statement is an opportunity missed for toll-access publishers
to recognise the critical role of open access and of open-access
self-archiving and to begin to adjust their business models gradually
even if they choose not to be open-access publishers.

http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/#publishers-do
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/self-archiving_files/Slide0021.gif
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/self-archiving_files/Slide0022.gif
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/self-archiving_files/Slide0028.gif

Steve Hitchcock
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865