Re: Draft letter for institutions to sign to implement Berlin Declaration

From: Michael Eisen <mbeisen_at_LBL.GOV>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 12:24:55 -0800

Stevan-

I don't want to reopen the argument about your 5%/95% division, but I don't
think its appropriate or necessary to use these figures here. How about
just:

(8) New "open-access" journals recover their costs by charging the
author-institution for each outgoing article they publish and making
all published works freely and openly accessible from the moment
of publication, instead of restricting access to subscribers

(9) For articles for which no suitable open access journal exists, an
alternative immediate solution to put an end to access denial and
impact loss is for their authors to self-archive their full-texts online on
their own institutional open-access websites for all would-be users
worldwide.

-Mike