Re: Draft letter for institutions to sign to implement Berlin

From: Michael Eisen <mbeisen_at_LBL.GOV>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:30:58 -0800

Stevan-

> If the Public Library of Science is dedicated to promoting OA for all
> journal articles, and not just to promoting OA journal publishing for its
> own articles, I hope that it will elect to use its vast subsidy to promote
> the Unified Joint OA Provision Policy, rather than just promoting OAJ
alone.

There is a serious misconception underlying this statement, one that is all
too often repeated by people quibbling about what PLoS is doing. It needs to
be corrected.

PLoS does not have a "vast subsidy". We have a grant from the Moore
Foundation, the explicit purpose of which is to launch and promote open
access journals like PLoS Biology and PLoS Medicine. We believe that the
long-term success of open access requires building broad community support,
and thus we have always been engaged in promoting open access in general.
However, we also believe that the long-term success of open access requires
a robust and vibrant open access publishing sector, and that PLoS has to
remain focused on this goal if we are to succeed.

-Mike