Re: Free Access vs. Open Access

From: Michael Eisen <mbeisen_at_LBL.GOV>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:06:55 -0800

Stevan-

I couldn't disagree more. You are redefining open access to be no more than
free access. For many of us involved in open access the ability to reuse and
republish text is a critical part of making optimal use of the scientific
literature. PLoS chose the creative commons license in order to encourage
creative reuse of the content we publish.

You may not see the value in allowing redistribution, derivative works and
other forms of reuse, but you have to recognize that others do and that this
is an central part of the definition of open access. And you shouldn't be
encouraging this kind of confusion of open access and free access. If all
you care about is free access, then lobby for that, but don't dilute the
meaning of open access.

-Mike